Home Health News Coronavirus in Massachusetts: Second death from COVID-19 in state confirmed – MassLive.com

Coronavirus in Massachusetts: Second death from COVID-19 in state confirmed – MassLive.com

4 min read
0
176

A second person in Massachusetts has died from a coronavirus-related illness, public health officials confirmed Saturday evening.

She was a woman in her 50s from Middlesex County. She suffered from a pre-existing health condition, which made her more susceptible to more severe symptoms of the virus.

The first death in Massachusetts connected to the virus was reported on Friday. The Massachusetts Department of Public Health identified him as a man in his 80s from Suffolk County. “The man had been hospitalized and had pre-existing health conditions that put him at higher risk for COVID-19,” the department said in a statement.

Sign up for free text messages about important updates on coronavirus in Massachusetts

As of Saturday, more than 5,200 residents of Massachusetts have been tested for COVID-19. Just over 10% – 525 people – have tested positive.

“COVID-19 activity is increasing in Massachusetts,” the state Department of Public Health said. “At this time, if people are only mildly symptomatic, they should speak to their healthcare provider about whether they need to be assessed in person. If not, they should stay at home while they are sick. Asymptomatic family members should practice social distancing and immediately self-isolate if they develop symptoms.”

Nationwide, there have been more than 15,000 cases and more than 200 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The risk for serious disease and death in COVID-19 cases increases with age and among people of all ages with underlying health conditions.

The number of Americans hospitalized due to coronavirus is rising – and it’s not only older adults seriously sickened by the virus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a report Wednesday analyzing more than 2,400 cases of COVID-19 reported in the U.S. Of the hundreds of the Americans hospitalized due to coronavirus, about 38% are young and middle-aged adults ranging in age from 20 to 54 years old. For patients in intensive care units, about half were under 65 years old.

The CDC’s report found that between Feb. 12 and March 16, 45% of hospitalizations, 53% of intensive care unit admissions and 80% of deaths occurred among adults 65 years or older. The highest percentage of severe outcomes were reported among people 85 years or older.

In the U.S., no person 19 years old or younger died from the virus or was admitted to the ICU, and only 5% of the cases reported nationwide were of that age range, the agency said.

Related Content:

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

851 new COVID-19 cases reported in North Dakota – KVLY

N.D. (Valley News Live) – The North Dakota Department of Health is reporting 851 new…