5 tips to for older men and women to shed pounds and stay fit& |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Weight gain, along with other health issues is a common problem for people as they grow older
- Being overweight can increase the risk of developing various bone and cardiovascular problems
- Here are some weight loss tips you can follow in your old age to keep your body healthy
New Delhi: As people grow old, it may become difficult to keep a tab on the body weight and things might end up going haywire. Unprecedented and unnecessary weight gain is an outcome of getting old. This weight loss is caused mostly due to accumulation of fat in the body. This can result in other issues such as the increased risk of cardiovascular diseases, decreased bone health and several other health-related issues. Losing weight will not only increase the mobility of the body but will also make the body healthier.
According to the latest studies, researchers found that age does not matter, and is no barrier in losing weight. Researchers from the University of Warwick and University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire (UHCW) NHS Trust in the UK have found that obese patients over the age of 60 can lose an equivalent amount of weight as younger people using only lifestyle changes. The findings of the study were published in the journal Clinical Endocrinology. Researchers believe this will help clear misconceptions about the effectiveness of weight loss in older people.
Some tips for older people to shed pounds, lose weight
Here are some tips you can follow to deal with weight loss:
- Increase physical activity: Working out is an effective way of losing unnecessary weight. Staying physically active throughout can help increase the mobility of the joints and muscles in the body. This will make it easier for the body to adapt to workout routines that are focused on weight loss.
- Reduce the dinner intake: According to some studies shown in PubMed Central, reducing the calorie intake in dinner can help reduce weight and help with weight management. An ideal calorie intake in meals would include maximized calorie intake during lunch and breakfast and minimized calorie intake during dinner.
- Consume protein: A bodyweight that consists of muscle weight is considered to be a healthy body as compared to bodyweight that has fat as its main contributing element. Protein is important for the body to gain muscles at a healthy weight.
- Stay hydrated: It is essential to be mindful about the way one chooses to stay hydrated. Hydration provides nourishment to the body. Using sodas, soft drinks and juices as a replacement for water to stay hydrated can add an excessive amount of sugar to the diet. This can lead to weight gain and health conditions such as diabetes and obesity.
- Sleep well: A good sleep is important for the body for several reasons. Apart from affecting the body psychologically, it can also cause health issues such as obesity. Improving the quality of sleep by sticking to a schedule can not only help with weight management, but can also improve the overall mood by boosting it and making it livelier and happier.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
Get the Latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, Yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now