Individuals aged 70 or older in England who have not however had their coronavirus vaccine nonetheless need to are being requested to contact the NHS.
A nationwide reserving system might be accessed on-line or people can identify 119 free of change between 7am and 11pm.
At a Downing Avenue info briefing, deputy chief medical officer Prof Jonathan Van-Tam urged people to get the vaccine “at once”.
“Defend your self in opposition to the clear and current hazard,” he said.
He said the vaccines labored very correctly in opposition to the “rapid menace” of the Kent variant of coronavirus circulating inside the UK.
He assured most people that the South African variant – which has undergone some changes which will impression vaccines to some extent – simply is not the UK’s most dominant variant and there was “no cause to counsel it is going to catch up or overtake our present virus within the subsequent few months”.
Some 147 circumstances of the South Africa variant have been found inside the UK.
- South African variant: What’s the hazard?
Evaluation: Why scientists are assured in vaccines, no matter new variants
Coronavirus is mutating and some of the brand new variations of the virus seem like altering in methods wherein would possibly in the long run impact present vaccines.
Which will sound worrying, nonetheless consultants are assured that the current ones in use nonetheless work very correctly and may defend in opposition to excessive illness.
Scientists have been working loads of checks and other people counsel that whatever the vaccines being a less than perfect match for just a few of the brand new variants, such as a result of the South Africa one, they do rather a lot for what points most – saving lives.
Findings already current the Oxford-AstraZeneca gives good security in opposition to the Kent variant of coronavirus that is the most common variant circulating inside the UK.
And info on the South Africa variant with an an identical type of vccine, made by pharmaceutical agency Janssen, counsel security in opposition to excessive Covid-19 is maintained.
Scientists are working to switch vaccines to make sure they maintain with the virus as a result of it continues to change.
That is one factor the world may very well be very used to for flu vaccines, which might be updated yearly.
Vaccines might be tweaked in a matter of weeks or months if wanted.
Docs want to assure everyone in an eligible group has had the prospect to be immunised.
Well being Secretary Matt Hancock said “we won’t relaxation” until all of those in at risk groups have been equipped the vaccine.
Till now the NHS has requested people to attend until they’re contacted for vaccination to help make sure that these which might be most vulnerable are protected first.
Individuals over 70 in Scotland, Wales and Northern Eire are being urged that they’re going to be contacted by the NHS with an appointment.
Greater than 12 million people have already obtained a major dose and loads of who have not however booked an appointment are receiving adjust to up letters and phone calls this week to encourage them to take up the present of a vaccine. Individuals can choose a time slot and website for his or her appointment.
To this level:
- 91% of over 80s have had the vaccine, and 93% of care residence residents
- 95% of people aged 75-79 have had it
- and spherical 75% of people aged 70-74 have obtained a major dose
Well being and social care workers, who’re moreover among the many many excessive 4 priority groups for vaccination, must converse to their employer about arranging their jab within the occasion that they have not however had one.
Dr Nikki Kanani, a GP and medical director for main care at NHS England, said: “If you’re aged 70 and over, and have not but obtained your vaccine, please come ahead and make an appointment as quickly as you may.
“The vaccine is protected, simple, and can provide you and other people spherical you important security in opposition to this virus.”
It comes as:
- The federal government says coronavirus vaccines might be supplied to everybody dwelling within the UK freed from cost, no matter their immigration standing. They need folks within the nation illegally to know they won’t be vulnerable to deportation if they arrive ahead for a jab
- The federal government is aiming to supply first doses to fifteen million folks within the high 4 precedence teams by 15 February. On the present fee, about 16 million folks would obtain a primary jab by that date
- Well being secretary Matt Hancock stated the UK’s vaccination programme should hold tempo with the virus. The federal government has a partnership with CureVac to develop new vaccines in opposition to future variants.
- PM Boris Johnson says the vaccines in use within the UK are “environment friendly in combating important dying and illness in all variants”
- LOOK-UP TOOL: What number of circumstances in your space?
- OXFORD JAB: What’s the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine?
- SYMPTOMS: What are they and methods to guard in opposition to them?
- QUARANTINE: Will I have to self-isolate in a resort?
Let’s block commercials! (Why?)